When I heard Россия-1 was adapting House MD, my primary question was simple: why? Who watched House– colloquially known as Hate Crimes MD– and decided that more people needed to experience it? Using my extremely limited knowledge of Russian and world-renowned video website “youtube,” I decided to get all the answers for myself.
I left the only video I found of Доктор Рихтер with more questions than answers. For example:
- Is this a series or a movie? What’s happening? Everyone in the comments is pissed about the form and I can’t tell why?
- Are Russian Cameron and Russian Foreman in love? Or is that just some random guy?
- Where’s all the medical stuff? I didn’t see a single human organ and I was not subjected to a lumbar puncture?
- Who are the guys walking around in hard hats? Is this actually an architecture show and I didn’t realize it?
- How did they find someone older than Hugh Laurie, who
is factually the oldest man alive?
- Wait I just realized… is that two different guys in love with Russian Cameron?
- Why is the only constant in House MD “People Being In Love With Cameron”?
- Where the living hell is Russian Wilson? Is he even in this show? Did they forget him? Sometimes people forget him because they’re straight and/or get caught up in the visual depictions of failing human intestines.
- Whose mom is that?
To make up for the flurry of confusion those questions may have caused, here are some fun facts I learned!
- They start almost every sentence by saying слушай! which seems to mean “listen,” and sounds like “slushie” with a Russian accent!
- Russian doctors, or at least Russian Cameron, wear fun outfits! She had a cool hat for at least five minutes.
- Clubbing in Russia looks fun but intense, and they all had high ponytails!
- TOO MANY MEN ARE IN LOVE WITH CAMERON ALL THE TIME! SHE CAN BE GAY, YOU KNOW!
- One of the guys in love with Cameron is named Артём (Artyom) and I still don’t know if he’s like, a doctor or not! Is anyone on this show a doctor? Who knows! Who cares!
- The only medical thing that happened in this episode was Doctor Richter looked at Cameron Love Interest #1’s resume and said, “not bad.”
Finally, because I really do have a limited comprehension of what went down here, I turned to the youtube commenters to give voice to their opinions. As it happens, many of their feelings about Russian House MD echoed mine about American House MD! Here are a few standout examples (translated to English courtesy of Google Translate):
- “I thought the Russian TV reached the bottom, but suddenly a knock came from below ….” / “я думал российское тв достигло дна, но снизу вдруг постучали….”
- “It’s cool, but it’s not Doctor House.” / “Прикольно, но эт не доктор хаус.”
- “Fuck me with a shovel….. Sew my eyelids…” / “Ебать меня лопатой блять…. Зашейте мне веки…”
- “What was it?(“ / “Что енто было ?(“
- “nacher you crap legendary series? what is this dull hopeless fucking thing? [remainder of comment redacted]” / “нахера вы обосрали легендарный сериал? что это за унылый беспросветный пиздец? [remainder of comment redacted]”
Thank you for joining me in my foray into Russian television. I have confirmed that I don’t know how TV works over there, but I’m pretty sure Доктор Рихтер is a serial after all. Turns out Russian audiences are subject to a different kind of hate crime, and there aren’t a lot of exposed intestines involved. If anyone knows who the guys in hard hats are, please let me know ASAP. пока!
One thought on “With Regards to “Доктор Рихтер,” Russia’s Direct Remake of “House MD””